In a new survey conducted by independent market research firm Toluna on behalf of leading U.S. cordless phone manufacturer, VTech Communications, 45 percent of respondents said a phone call to catch up is the best present a distant friend or family member could give them during the holiday season. In fact, a phone call outpaced gifts under the tree, holiday cards and emails.
For people over 55, the gift of a phone call was especially desired with nearly 60 percent citing it as their number one choice over other forms of holiday communication. The majority of respondents also ranked a phone call as the top choice, when considering the best way to stay connected with friends and family during the busiest time of the year. Additionally, calling family and friends more often was at the top of their wish list of things to do during the holiday season (28 percent).
Other key findings of the survey, which took a pulse on holiday season attitudes and behaviors, include:
- A special moment with family and friends is all consumers want for the holidays. The holidays are known for great food and special traditions, so it’s no surprise that consumers embrace the season for its togetherness. Survey respondents ranked a holiday meal (24 percent) as the No. 1 thing not to miss during the holidays, followed by a special family tradition (22 percent). The holiday spirit rings strongly, as the overwhelming majority of consumers don’t want to miss out on any seasonal festivities with only 13 percent of consumers saying “bah humbug” to holiday cheer.
- Who is on the “do not call” list during the holidays? Not everyone’s calls are welcome this holiday season – particularly those from co-workers, which are on top of the “phone calls to avoid” list (36 percent), followed by neighbors (21 percent) and friends (10 percent).
“A simple phone call is a powerful way to connect with loved ones during the holidays,” said Matt Ramage, senior vice president, product management, VTech Communications. “The consumer data shows us that in today’s frenetic world, sitting down with a reliable home phone to have a good conversation with a distant relative or friend is still a simple desire people want and need in their lives – especially during the busiest time of the year.”
- VTech Multi-tasking phone system
- Functional leather basket
- Beverage warmer
- $100 Staples gift card
- Desktop organizer
- Fun holiday trimmings
To enter the contest, leave a comment answering the following question:
Who are you looking forward to calling during the holiday season and why?
After you have submitted your mandatory entry, you can receive additional entries by doing any or all of the following things:
- ‘Like’ VTech Phones on Facebook (1 extra entry)
- ‘Like’ Mocha Dad on Facebook (1 extra entry)
- Leave a comment on a non-contest post on Mocha Dad (1 extra entry for each comment)
- Subscribe to Mocha Dad (1 extra entries)
- Tweet this contest: Win a VTech Holiday Gift Basket from @mochadad http://bit.ly/vNCUIn (1 extra entry per tweet – 5 per day)
- Share on Facebook, StumbleUpon, Digg, or Tumblr (1 extra entry for each share)
- Blog this contest (10 extra entries)
Mocha Dad’s “Win a VTech Phone to Call Loved Ones During the Holiday Season” Contest starts on Thursday, November 17, 2011 and ends Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 11:59 p.m. (CST), and is open to all Mocha Dad readers, subscribers, and/or fans in the continental U.S. No purchase required. Relatives and employees of Mocha Dad Media are not eligible to win. You are also ineligible if you’ve won a prize from this blog within the past 60 days. One winner will be chosen via Random.org and announced on Friday, November 25, 2011. You must leave your contact information to collect your prize. If a winner does not respond within 3 days, a new winner will be chosen.