As the holiday season approaches, we start thinking about good food, joyful music, and fun times with friends and family. But the holiday season also brings an unwanted element – a rise in crime. Theft and property crimes greatly increase between Thanksgiving and New Year’s Day.
Here are a few measures you can take to stay safe during the holiday season:
- Lock your home even if leaving for short periods of time.
- Keep your valuables locked in a safe or other secure storage device.
- When shopping, always park in a well-lit and well-traveled area.
- When you return to your vehicle, scan the interior of your car to be sure no one is hiding inside. Check to see if you are being followed.
- When storing items purchased at the stores, place them out of sight. The best place is in a locked trunk.
- Do not leave your purse, wallet, or cellular telephone in plain view.
- Don’t resist if someone tries to take any of your belongings. Don’t chase someone who robs you, they may have a weapon. Instead call 911.
- If you go to an automatic teller machine for cash, check for people around and make sure it is well lit and in a safe location.
To help you protect yourself for the holidays, I’d like to give Mocha Dad readers a chance to win a “Secure Holiday Season” prize pack which includes:
To enter the giveaway, answer the following question in the comments section:
What measures do you take to keep safe during the holidays?
- Sign up for the Mocha Dad Newsletter (5 extra entries)
- Like Mocha Dad on Facebook (5 extra entries)
- Like MasterLock on Facebook (5 extra entries)
- Tweet This: Enter the @MasterLockUS “Secure Holiday Season” giveaway on @mochadad http://bit.ly/1LYFUeS (1 extra entry per tweet – 5 per day)
- Share any Mocha Dad post via Twitter, Facebook, StumbleUpon, or Google+ (1 extra entry for each share or comment. No limit)
Mocha Dad’s “Secure Holiday Season” starts on Monday, November 9, 2015 and ends on Monday, November 30, 2015 at 11:59 a.m. (CST), and is open to all Mocha Dad readers, subscribers, and/or fans 18 years old and older in the continental U.S. No purchase required. Relatives and employees of Goodall Family Media are not eligible to win. You are also ineligible if you’ve won a prize from this website within the past 30 days. One (1) winner will be chosen via Random.org and announced soon after the ending date. You must leave your contact information to collect your prize. If a winner does not respond within 3 days, a new winner will be chosen. Disclosure of Material Connection: I received compensation and/or one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my website. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” All opinions are my own. Allow 3-6 weeks for giveaway fulfillment. While Master Lock has provided promotional support in the form of prizes, Master Lock is not administering the giveaway on this website. Prize value is approximately $80.