I was a safety professional for many years and I’ve seen what can happen when people don’t prepare and fail to follow established safety guidelines.
Many people are injured in their own homes because they do not have home safety plans. You don’t have to fall into this trap. Take the following quiz to see how your home’s safety measures up. My answers are in bold.
1. One in four older homes needs to update fire safety equipment. How old are your alarms? My alarms are around seven years old.
- Expert tip – Replace smoke alarms every 10 years. Replace CO alarms every five to 10 years, based on the model. Purchase an alarm with a 10-year sealed lithium battery, such as Kidde Worry-Free smoke and CO alarms, to receive hassle-free protection for a decade –no need to change a battery or hear a low battery chirp.
2. Seventy-five percent of homeowners don’t know where to install smoke alarms. Do you have one on every floor, and inside/outside all bedrooms? Yes.
- Expert tip: Choose alarms with room-specific features, such as an LED light in the hallway, or a voice notification for the bedroom. Place a CO alarm near sleeping areas and on each floor. Keep them 10 feet away from fuel-burning appliances.
3. Do your alarms incorporate the newest features and technology? Probably not.
- Expert tip: A sealed-in 10-year lithium battery continuously powers the alarm for 10 years. It’s tamper-proof and can’t be removed. A digital display shows the level of CO in the air and updates the reading every 15 seconds. An intelligent multi-sensor responds faster to real fires and CO, plus it reduces nuisance alarms like those commonly caused by cooking. An end-of-life warning lets you know when to replace your alarms.
- Expert tip: Place a fire extinguisher within reach in rooms where fires often begin: kitchen, garage, bedroom, living area. Place and escape ladder in second and third-floor rooms as an alternative escape route
5. Have you developed a family escape plan? Yes. We haven’t practiced it.
- Expert tip: Develop a family escape plan and practice it regularly. Know two ways out of every room and who will assist children and loved ones with mobility/health issues.
6. Do your children know their address and how to dial 911? Yes, including my 6-year old.
- Expert tip: Post your home address and emergency phone numbers on the refrigerator.
7. Are your appliances and chimney winter-ready? Yes.
- Expert tip: Have a professional inspect fuel-burning appliances to ensure they function properly and that they vent outside. Have a professional clean or inspect fireplaces annually. Birds and small animals can make nests and leaves can build up on top of the chimney, preventing carbon monoxide from venting properly.
8. Have you created a 3-foot clutter free zone around fireplaces, space heaters or wood stoves? Yes (until the kids place their toys in front of it).
- Expert tip: Keep clutter away from your heat sources
How did you do? Share your answers in the comments section.
I’m also giving away a Kidde Hallway Smoke Alarm ($35.00 Retail value). To enter the giveaway, answer the following question in the comments section:
What changes do you need to make to improve your home’s safety?
Additional Entries (These entries will be counted only after the required entry has been submitted)
- Sign up for the Mocha Dad Newsletter (5 extra entries)
- Like Kidde on Facebook (5 extra entries)
- Like Mocha Dad on Facebook (5 extra entries)
- Follow @mochadad and @KiddeSafety on Twitter and share this tweet: Enter to win a @KiddeSafety Fire Alarm from @mochadad http://wp.me/P31byE-3bz #giveaway (1 extra entry per tweet – 5 per day)
- Share or leave a comment on any Mocha Dad non-contest post (1 extra entry for each share or comment – no limit)
Mocha Dad’s “Kidde Home Safety Quiz and Giveaway” starts on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 and ends on Wednesday, December 18, 2013 at 11:59 a.m. (CST), and is open to all Mocha Dad readers, subscribers, and/or fans 18 years old and older in the continental U.S. No purchase required. Relatives and employees of Goodall Family Media are not eligible to win. You are also ineligible if you’ve won a prize from this website within the past 30 days. One (1) winner will be chosen via Random.org and announced soon after the ending date. You must leave your contact information to collect your prize. If a winner does not respond within 3 days, a new winner will be chosen. Disclosure of Material Connection: I received compensation and/or one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my website. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” All opinions are my own. Allow 3-6 weeks for giveaway fulfillment. While Kidde has provided promotional support in the form of prizes, Kidde is not sponsoring or administering the giveaway on this website. Prize value = $35.