If there is one thing my kids love it’s pizza. They would eat it every day if I allowed them to. One evening, I took them to a popular pizza chain and ordered the BBQ Chicken Pizza. All three of my children’s wanted to try it so I gave each of them a small piece. They fell in love with the sweet, tangy flavor and begged for more. Since I only had a personal-sized pizza, I couldn’t spare anymore. But I did promise to make it for them one day.
- 3 Boneless Chicken Breasts (diced into small cubes)
- 1 Pre-baked 12″ pizza crust
- 1 Cup of Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 Red Onion (thinly sliced)
- 1/2 Bell Pepper (diced)
- 1 Cup of Mesquite flavored BBQ Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon of Garlic Powder
- 1 Tablespoon of Chili Powder
- 1 Teaspoon of Seasoned Salt
- 1 Teaspoon brown mustard
- 1 Teaspoon brown sugar
- (Additional toppings include sliced jalapeño peppers and cilantro)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Add oil to a skillet and sauté the chicken (sprinkle with seasoned salt first), bell pepper and half of the red onion until the chicken is cooked. Drain and set aside.
- Add the BBQ sauce to a small pot. Mix in spices, mustard, and brown sugar. Simmer on low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Place pizza crust on a cookie sheet and apply sauce to desired consistency.
- Top with cheese, chicken, sautéed vegetables, and raw red onions.
- Place pizza in oven and cook 15-20 minutes.
I served the pizza with a chopped salad (tomatoes, Romaine lettuce, cucumbers, avocado, red onion). Although all three kids finished the meal, they didn’t give me a unanimous thumbs-up.
- Me – Thumbs up.
- KayEm – Thumbs up.
- Nee (11) – Thumbs up.
- N (9) – Thumbs up.
- X (5) – Thumbs down (he described the pizza as fair).
Therefore, this dish gets a family rating of 4 out 5 stars.