One of the most important things that a father can do is teach his children how to live.
My father wasn’t present in my life, but his absence taught me a valuable lesson – Always be there for your kids. Therefore, I work hard to show my kids that they are important to me by being directly involved in their lives. In addition, I try to live my life in a way that I want them to emulate.
Many times we miss the lessons that our fathers tried to teach us when we were growing up. It isn’t until we are parents that the wisdom of our father’s words and actions become clear.
I hope the following 15 lessons from fathers will inspire you to thank your father for the things he has taught you:
1. The most important thing I learned from my father was to cherish the earth. – Cheryl
2. My dad always told me that with determination you can accomplish almost anything!- Marilyne
3. The most important lesson I learned from my father was to put family above work. – Marc-Andre
4. I learned that you should not assume you “can’t” do something just because you’re a girl! – Kristin
5. My dad taught me how to demolish a room and install drywall! – Katie
6. The most important lesson I learned from my father is to love God with all my heart, soul, strength and capacity. I am so glad we all went to mass together as a family. – Cher
7. My lesson was to always be honest – in your work and in your personal relationships. – Selene
8. My Father taught me that my mind is my most valuable asset and to not squander my ability to think for myself. – Mike
9. I have learned a ton of lessons from my Dad. The top two are: (1) Family comes first because he has always put me, my Mom, and sister above all else in his life. (2) Always be a good listener. As I get older, I’m really learning the value in that. –Dana
10. My father always told me that “everyone might be on the same track, but everyone on that track is running a different race.” He said this to me to remind me to stay focused on my goals and not get side tracked. – Josepha
11. My grandfather always taught me to be honest, no matter the cost. You can not go wrong with the truth. – Tina
12. One of the most important lessons I have learned from my father is “CAN’T means DON’T WANT TO.” Every time my sisters or I said we couldn’t do something, he would always say that this. It is so true on so many levels. You really can do anything if you give it your all. – Ashley
13. I didn’t have the best father in the world – he was an extremely abusive alcoholic. But, oddly, that’s a lesson in and of itself. Since becoming a mom myself, I have learned to empathize with him. In retrospect, he taught me to have patience and calmness with my own daughter! – Courtney
14. Believe in yourself and always have a back-up plan. – Cheryl
15. My dad once said to me before I left for college “there is always going to be someone who wants to hang out with you. You need to make time to study because everyone has a different schedule.” He was so right! – Maggie
Question: What lessons did you learn from your father?