At my sons’ pediatric check-up, the doctor asked if we had any “Mr. Yuk” stickers. I told her that we didn’t and she brought us a few to place around the house. When I looked at those stickers, memories of my childhood came flooding back. I immediately recalled the old “Mr. Yuk” commercial from the 70s. That commercial scared the crap out of me when I was a kid. The ominous “Mr. Yuk is mean. Mr. Yuk is green” followed by diabolical laughter was enough to keep me out of the medicine cabinet. “Mr. Yuk” was a bad dude and I didn’t want any part of him.
This walk down memory lane prompted me to do a YouTube search to find the commercial. I was pleased to find it and I’d like to share it with you. All of you 70s kids will be able to relate.
I showed the commercial to my kids and explained to them why they should not touch items with “Mr. Yuk” stickers. They didn’t seem as scared of “Mr. Yuk” as I was. Maybe it takes more than a green dude to frighten this generation.
My wife, KayEm, and I were frightened a few years ago when my son, N, swallowed some of the oil I use to lubricate my clippers. KayEm freaked out when she noticed him walking out of our bathroom holding the bottle.
“Oh my, God,” she said. “He drank some of that oil.” I tried to play it cool, but I was scared because I took drug counseling course that taught us how oils coat the lungs and cuts off breathing. We weren’t sure if he had ingested any or not, but we weren’t about to take any chances. K called Poison Control to find out what we needed to do. They gave us detailed instructions and we followed them to the letter. We are thankful that he only swallowed a small amount and we were able to flush his system before any serious damage occurred. But the situation could have been much worse if we didn’t have access to the Poison Control Center.
I implore each of you to make sure that you have the Poison Control number in an accessible place. Post it on the refrigerator, in the bathroom and any other location that houses hazardous chemicals. For those who don’t have the phone number, it is (800) 222-1212.