CONTEST CLOSED – 02/17/2011
HEROES OF AFRICAN AMERICAN HISTORY COME TO LIFE IN A NEW SCHOLASTIC STORYBOOK TREASURES™ DVD
Just in time for Black History Month, celebrate African American history with the DUKE ELLINGTON…AND MORE STORIES TO CELEBRATE GREAT FIGURES IN AFRICAN AMERICAN HISTORY DVD – a historic and musical collection of four unforgettable stories lovingly adapted for the small screen from best-selling picture books. The DVD features captivating narration by Forest Whitaker, Phylicia Rashad, Samuel L. Jackson and Billy Dee Williams. Stories featured include:
- Duke Ellington (based on the story by Andrea Davis Pinkney, illustrated by Bran Pinkney, narrated by Forest Whitaker). A most fitting tribute to a great man who proudly celebrated the history of African-Americans, from slavery to civil rights struggles.
- Ellington Was Not a Street (based on the story by Ntozake Shange, illustrated by Kadir Nelson, narrated by Phylicia Rashad). A poetic tribute about growing up amidst many of the great figures in African American History.
- Ella Fitzgerald: The Tale of Vocal Virtuosa (based on the story Andrea Davis Pinkney, illustrated by Brian Pinkney, narrated by Billy Dee Williams). The dramatic story of how Ella got her sound, on the way to a most remarkable and inspiring career.
- John Henry (based on the story by Julius Lester, illustrated by Brian Pinkney, narrated by Samuel L. Jackson). Based on the famous African-American folk ballad, this story tells of the legendary contest between a spirited man with a hammer and a steam drill.
I’d like to give two readers an opportunity to win a copy of this wonderful DVD. To enter, please leave a comment answering the following question:
What is your favorite Duke Ellington song?
After you have submitted your mandatory entry, you can receive additional entries by doing any or all of the following things:
- ‘Like’ Mocha Dad on Facebook (7 extra entries)
- Leave a comment on a non-contest post on Mocha Dad or Making It Last Forever (2 extra entries for each comment)
- Subscribe to Mocha Dad (3 extra entries)
- Send this Tweet – Win a Duke Ellington DVD from @mochadad http://bit.ly/dM3h0d (5 Tweets per day, 1 extra entry per tweet)
- Blog this contest (10 extra entries)
- Send a video of you playing “Take the A Train” (100 extra entries)
Mocha Dad’s “Win a Copy of the Scholastic Storybook Treasures Duke Ellington DVD Contest” starts on Thursday, February 10, 2011 and ends Thursday, February 17, 2011 at 11:59 p.m. (CST), and is open to all Mocha Dad readers, subscribers, and/or fans in the continental U.S. No purchase required. Relatives and employees of Mocha Dad Media are not eligible to win. You are also ineligible if you’ve won a prize from this blog within the past 60 days. Two winners will be chosen via Random.org and announced on Thursday, February 17, 2011. You must leave your contact information to collect your prize. If a winner does not respond within 5-days, a new winner will be chosen.