Unfortunately, many men go into a type of khaki purgatory when they become dads. These once fashionable men ditch their well-tailored trousers in favor of the dreaded dad pants: high-waisted, baggy, pleated, tapered abominations.
To combat the evil of dad pants, I have a few tips on selecting a pair of khakis that will make dads look marvelous.
- Pants must fit – For most men, shopping is not a favorite activity. Their goal is to get in out of the store as quickly as possible. When men use this method to buy khakis, they end up looking like MC Hammer or Russell Brand. Neither of these are good looks for dads. To avoid this problem, take a few minutes to try on pants to ensure that they fit properly. Khakis should sit on the hips – not cinch them. And they should hang loosely without being baggy.
- Pleats are evil – Pleats create bulk around your hips and make you look heavier. Modern khakis come in flat front styles and are generally more flattering.
- Pay attention to your legs – Avoid khakis with tapered legs because they will make your hips will look wider than they are. Also, make sure that the length is correct. Your pants should have a slight break at the top of your shoe. They should not gather around your ankles.
If you follow these guidelines when shopping for khakis, you can save yourself (and your kids) the embarrassment of being seen in public wearing dad pants.
If you need more help with selecting khakis that will work best for your body type, visit the Dockers website. This year Dockers is celebrating the 100th anniversary of Father’s Day with their new Cargo Khaki line.
In honor of Father’s Day, I’m giving 5 lucky Mocha Dad readers the opportunity to win a pair of Dockers Cargo Khakis.
To enter the contest, please answer the following question:
What is the best father’s day gift you have received? If you’re not a father, what is the best Father’s Day gift you’ve given?
After you have submitted your mandatory entry, you can receive additional entries by doing any or all of the following things:
- Leave a comment on a non-contest post on Mocha Dad or on Making It Last Forever (1 extra entry for each comment)
- Subscribe to Mocha Dad and/or Making It Last Forever (3 extra entries)
- Tweet the following phrase: Win 1 of 5 pairs of Dockers Cargo Khakis from @mochadad http://bit.ly/btna7R (5 Tweets per day)
- Blog this contest (5 additional entries)
- Mocha Dad’s Facebook Fans are automatically entered into all Mocha Dad contests.
Mocha Dad’s “Docker’s Are the Cure to Dad Pants Father’s Day Contest” starts on Wednesday, June 8, 2010 and ends Monday, June 14, 2010 at 11:59 p.m. (CST), and is open to all Mocha Dad readers, subscribers, and/or fans in the continental U.S. and Canada. No purchase required. Relatives and employees of Mocha Dad are not eligible to win. Winners will be chosen via Random.org and announced on Tuesday, June 15, 2010. You must leave your contact information to collect your prize. If a winner does not respond within 5-days, a new winner will be chosen. Prize fulfillment will be handled by Edelman Public Relations.