It was great to be a kid in the 70s and 80s. We had the coolest toys of any generation. What could compare to Voltron action figures, Teddy Ruxpin, Connect-Four games, Lite-Brites, and Cabbage Patch Dolls?
One of my favorite toys as a child was my Spider-Man action figure. It wasn’t all fancy like today’s detailed and articulated figures, but it did have a removable costume (I used to dress him up in some of Ken’s clothes for the fun of it). Spidey and I had amazing adventures and we saved the world numerous times. At night, he’d cuddle up next to me and protect me from all evil-doers. I miss that guy.
I also had other toys that I really loved: My Hot Wheels race tracks (the orange ones that often doubled an instrument of discipline in my mother’s hands), my Atari 2600 (Yars Revenge, Commando, and Pitfall were my favorite game), my Optimus Prime Transformer (it stood at least 2 feet tall), my B.B. Gun (I never shot my eye out), and my Big Wheel (I was a speed demon).
I asked my readers to share some of their favorite childhood toys. Their responses made me feel a bit nostalgic.
- I loved my dolls as a little girl I especially loved Sweet April. – Robyn Paris
- My Barbie dolls were my favorite. – Sue Ellison
- My favorite toy was my Merlin “high tech” gadget in the early 80′s. You could play Tic-tac-toe and program it to play back the song Mary Had a Little Lamb. – Jennifer Patrick
- I loved my roller skates and Boggle – Stephanie V.
- I liked my Star Wars Tie Fighter – A. Gordon
- An Oopsie Daisy Doll that did forward facing flips – Tabitha Barrettno
- My favorite was a Cabbage Patch Doll – Kathleen Porteous
- My favorite toy was my Care Bear house…I feel really old when I say that. I received the house, the cloud car and all the little figures one year. They were great…*sigh*…I feel old… – Alicia Boarts
- My favorite toy when I was a child was my Strawberry Shortcake Play Phone. – Jennifer Marie
- I loved my Fisher Price Little People Doll House – Paula Hafner
- My favorite toys were the My Little Ponies, the original ones! – Kelly K.
- My favorite toy as a child was my PJ Sparkle doll I got when I was 3 years old. I’m 28 now and my mom still has that doll at her house! – Davaine Williams
- I collected stuffed monkeys and had tons of them. – Valerie Mabrey
- My favorite was Betsy Wetsy – Gloria Schulte
- I loved my old gameboy! The big grey clunker one! – Rochel Rand-Sidell
- My favorite toy was Barbie’s Dream House – Racy Copley
- I loved my He-Man Action Figures. – Ronald Glasser
- I had a Strawberry Shortcake Doll that was my favorite – Angela Cisco
- My fave was a sit and spin…lol that shows my age I know – Jeanne Conner
- My favorite toys were my New Kids On The Block Dolls. – Leslie Stanziani
- I liked paper dolls because I designed clothes for them – Tracey Allen
- My Easy Bake Oven – Susan Smith
- My favorite toy as a child was my Shirley Temple doll – Debbie Hogue
- I loved my 4ft Raggedy Ann doll – Heather S.
Question: What was your favorite childhood toy?